From 26 to 29 November, the first Urban Design & Landscaping Expo (UDLE) will open its doors at the Dubai World Trade Centre, as part of Middle East’s largest construction show, The Big 5, organisers dmg events announce.
UDLE is the only specialised trade event for the landscaping, infrastructure and urban development industries in the Middle East. Across the four days of the show, local and international companies will bring to Dubai the latest in design, planning and consulting, irrigation and drainage, machinery and equipment for construction and maintenance, materials and components for urban design & landscaping.
On November 28, the event will also launch the first high-level Urban Design & Landscaping Summit themed “Promoting greener, healthier and more sustainable built environments with best practices in urban design and landscaping”.
Focusing on the opportunities and challenges faced in turning the region green, the Summit will explore the initiatives taken up by global and local government bodies, as well as prominent projects developed by urban design and landscape architecture firms, both globally and locally.
The outstanding lineup of speakers include:
- Pénélope Komitès, Deputy Mayor - Green Spaces, Nature & Biodiversity of the City of Paris;
- Ceylan Belek Ombregt, Associate Director at Martha Schwartz Partners in London;
- Andrew Burton Anderson, Senior Landscape Architect + UNESCO World Heritage Advisor, from the Oman Botanic Garden;
- Val Zillig, Urban Planning Advisor at Sharjah Urban Planning Council;
- Ayub Hassan Algaferi, Head of Parks Section at Al Ain Municipality;
- Rasmus Astrup, Partner at SLA Architects in Denmark;
- and Ahmad Bukhash, Director of Urban Planning at the Dubai Creative Clusters Authority.
Speaking on Sharjah’s unique approach to urban planning, Val Zillig, Urban Planning Advisor, Sharjah Urban Planning Council (SUPC), said: “There are a variety of challenges when it comes to enhancing, activating, managing and protecting public spaces. These include the monetization, over programming and privatization of space meant for the public. Also, ensuring that the projects are truly responsive to the actual users is crucial to success.”
He added: “Platforms such as UDLE are unique and important to address where and how cities like Sharjah address challenges and transform them into carefully developed public realm projects, with features, technologies and infrastructure that help shape and quality experiences to the community. The panel discussion will be a key opportunity to present how we at SUPC are developing a number of on-going public realm projects, and share some insights on the unique ideas and landscaping initiatives that deliver innovative, useable and accessible spaces to both businesses and communities in Sharjah.”
To promote commercial potential, creativity and innovation in urban design and landscaping, UDLE will also present a Product Innovation Award at the end of the Urban Design & Landscaping Summit.
Products competing to win the UDLE Product Innovation Award include:
- The “Charging Station” - Introduced by the Italian CML Pali in collaboration with ENELX, the charging station is developed to manage private users, fleets and public recharging stations anywhere. Part of a range of products and systems for recharging electrical vehicles, the product is designed to promote the diffusion of efficient electric mobility with recharging and V2G (vehicle to grid) infrastructures.
- Iccos Smart Bench – presented by DIMCAR, lccos Smart Bench is a 2-in-1 product: it can seat up to 4 people, and at the same time provide 4 Bike racks, optimizing the space and reducing costs for the clients. lccos Smart Bench is made of galvanized steel and OKUME wood, which can be customized as it comes in both Teak and Accoya wood.
- HEI Solar Light Columns LUKIDA – From Austria, HEI Solar Light Columns LUKIDA are a family of aesthetic solar light columns with integrated photovoltaics and luminaire for decorative private or public solar outdoor applications. The seamless pole integration of solar elements and pole-integrated luminaire offers the freedom to configure highly-efficient LED engines to circular or lengthwise aligned light distribution. Clean lines, smooth mechanical connections and perfect performance strengthen the leading design idea of LUKIDA Solar Light Column, when aesthetics matters.
- Kinetics Play - From Malaysia, Kinetics Play SDN BHD presents four different outdoor products: Skinetic, an outdoor agility exercise equipment that helps improving proprioception, balancing and core strength; Leg Cycle, a stationary recumbent bike with sitting and standing cycling options; Ballboard, a balancing exercise equipment with a wobbly platform that forces users to engage their core muscle throughout the workout; and Rownetic, an outdoor gym equipment specially designed to perform arm rotating movements from a sitting position.
- Spike Light – The UAE based LUMO will present its Spike Light for Landscaping with adjustable beam. An ideal choice for illuminating flowers, trees, walls and borders, the RGBW version of the light can be controlled by a mobile application, to adjust color and brightness.
- MODBLOC modular blocks - From France, the new MODBLOC modular blocks will introduce to the UAE an innovative approach to retaining walls construction. Flexible, easy and quick to install, Modbloc’s modular blocks are also eco-friendly, safe and sustainable. They allow access to a high-end range product while providing significant savings by using the latest construction technologies.
- The Tree of Life – The Sharjah Electricity and Water Authority (SEWA) will present its “Tree of life”. 6 x 9 meter width, and two-story high, the Three of Life creates an employee resting and hanging area, along with meeting and training spaces. With rocks covering the ground floor, running water, recycled wood, shading and an air conditioning system, the three of life provides the perfect space for employees to network, rest and train.
- Alu Line – aluminum frame vertical gardens. Garden Spot from Poland will introduce its unique, modular and innovative vertical gardens system named Pixel Garden. Using the functionality of Pixel Garden, the company created a new line of aluminum frame living vertical gardens named Alu Line, which is in line with current interiors trends. The modules, 100% recycled, are equipped with an integrated vertical irrigation system that allows to save 100% of the water.
Portfolio Director, Josine Heijmans, says:
The thriving construction market in the UAE and the broader GCC region is driving unprecedented demand for outdoor specific design and build projects, as more authentic public spaces gain ground.
“An explicit change in lifestyle, with growing preference for outdoors activities, mega-events like Expo 2020 Dubai and the booming regional leisure and hospitality sector are providing investors with huge urban greening and landscaping specific opportunities.
“The Urban Design & Landscaping Expo will perfectly complement The Big 5 providing industry professionals from around the globe a dedicated space where to source the most innovative solutions for the construction and maintenance of urban and green spaces, sports grounds and playgrounds.”
[Read more at: BEATING STEREOTYPES: DUBAI MOVES FROM INDOOR TO OUTDOOR and Outdoor spaces increase people’s happiness and are vital for livable cities, experts say ahead of the Urban Design & Landscaping Expo]
The event is supported by the Sharjah Electricity & Water Authority (SEWA) and Fujairah Municipality. Also, it enjoys the partnership of Jain Irrigation System LTD (Irrigation Partner), Lumo (Lighting Partner), Pearl Garden Landscape & Irrigation Services LLC (Horticulture Partner), ASPECT Studios (Design Partner), and Cracknell (Design Partner).
The Urban Design & Landscaping Expo (UDLE) will run from 26 to 29 November 2018 at the Dubai World Trade Centre as part of The Big 5, and co-located with the HVACR Expo, The Big 5 Solar, Middle East Concrete and The Big 5 Heavy.